Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Thing #16

I love the idea of a Wiki. Love it! I just set one up on PBWiki for my husband and me, although he doesn't know what one is...yet. I made a few pages--front, honey to do list, and on a topic of discussion. I also linked some sights, including the Google calendar I created in an earlier Thing.

Instead of posting on the sandbox about Library 2.0, I accidentally posted to the home portion of the site. I will cut and paste my curriculum idea in the sandbox when I am finished with this blog.

For the last job I had, I could have definitely used the Wiki--just to set up a meeting. Trying to coordinate a meeting sometimes with 6 people would be confusing! Many emails would be sent like...I can't meet at 2:oo but I can at 2:15. I can't meet on Monday but I can on Tuesday. I can meet on Monday.... Ughhh!

In the classroom I like the idea of having students post information on group projects. They can even attach websites that others can use for research. To my knowledge you can also see when others' post so you know that all are participating. I saw in some of my reading that classroom literacy circles (book clubs) can use Wiki. Groups can work together to communicate about literature.

I could have my own Wiki for the classroom. To my knowledge I could allow editing on some pages and not on others. I could see placing a schedule, websites for parents, websites for children, talking on topics.... It seems it is like having your own website but it can be interactive. I am going to continue with this. The free Wiki does seem limited, though.

P.S. I just called my husband and he said he got the email about joining the Wiki. He did. I told him I was excited. He laughed and said, "Oh boy! I always wanted a Wiki! What is it?" :)

3 comments:

LKP said...

What cool idea! You could keep a calendar for family events, post updates and even send message reminders. Keep a log of trips and post pictures and events to share with others all over the world. Again, neat idea!

Let's Keep Reading said...

A wiki is a great way to keep everyone on your team organized. I like your idea for using it to set up meetings. I am hoping to use it with other librarians as we contiue to update our district library manual.

jbarras said...

A classroom or project wili is a great idea!